In 1888 seventy-eight girls and five teachers entered the boys' Grammar School in Symonds Street, Auckland.
Although on the same site they operated as two separate schools and much effort was put into keeping the boys and girls apart! The girls had their own quarters, a separate entrance and a 14-foot wall divided the playground.
In 1906, because of increased numbers, the decision was made to create a Girls' Grammar School. Annie Whitelaw was appointed the first Headmistress of this new school - Auckland Girls' Grammar School - in 1907.
The school moved to its present site in Howe Street in 1909. From its beginning Auckland Girls has been a progressive school. It has always had a tradition of social responsiveness and its progression closely mirrors the social and cultural developments that have shaped New Zealand society.
Over one hundred years after the founding of the school, Auckland Girls remains at the forefront of education for young women.